2.4.13

DIY hair bow

In preparation for my trip to Canada later this summer, I've been looking at the websites of certain stores that aren't where I live. I saw these real cute hair bow clips on American Apparel's website, and I fell in love! until I saw the price -- a little clip for more than 600 pesos! I find it too steep. And while they have the American Apparel tag and they are probably very durable and "ouchless" on your hair, I did realize how easy it'd be to make it yourself. 

What you'll need
An old T-shirt -- I used a plain one, but you can use stripes, polka dots, or any other pattern under the sun. It's best for the fabric to be thicker than most, but you can always fold it over a couple more times for thickness.
Scissors
Needle and Thread

let's get started!

First off, you're going to cut a rectangle twice as large as you want your bow to be, because we're going to fold it over for thickness and puffyness. It doesn't matter if the rectangle is perfect or not--just look at mine!


Fold the rectangle in half. Sew all around the rectangle, but make sure you leave some space near the end. We're going to turn it inside out! and sloppy sewing is okay.

Next is to turn the rectangle inside out, so it looks a bit like a pillowcase.

Make sure all the corners are filled out. Sew in the open side, but make your stitches tiny and almost unnoticable, because this part of the bow will be seen!

Once all your sides are sewn closed, fold over the rectangle a few times to take in the bow shape.

Sew through the folds to keep them in place.

Next, cut a long thin strap from your old T-shirt. Wrap it around the bow's center, then cut when you're happy with the thickness of the center. Sew the strap closed.

And there you have it! A perfect bow. Tug on the sides to make sure the sides of the bow are even.

To make this a headpiece, you can slide a hairband through the center of the bow, but make sure the hair band is at the back side of the bow.


To make this a clip, simply slide any clip through the center of the bow, again at the back side.

I really hope you liked this DIY tutorial! It's my first one, and I hope to do more! I'll post soon the different ways to wear this, and maybe another DIY on how to customize them with studs, textile paint,   or experimenting with different fabric types! maybe a lace one? 

I hope you all comment and follow, and let me know if you give this DIY a try.

6 comments:

  1. this is such a great idea, so simple but effective! i've made one of these a while ago and this has isnpired me to make some more:) thanks for following, i am now following back your lovely blog. looking forward to more posts! xx
    http://brambleandlace.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I love your blog, I'm so glad you're following back! :)

      Yana

      Delete
  2. Great quick and easy tutorial! I love it! This cobalt blue is a great colour! I came across your blog and am your newest follower. I would love if you’d visit me at : the daily savant : and (if you like) follow with GFC and Blog Lovin'!

    : signe
    thedailysavant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I really liked the uniqueness of the color. Thanks for following me! I followed back, love your blog!

      Delete
  3. This is great!
    You did a great job :)

    http://www.candyliquor.co.uk
    UK High Street Fashion Blog
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

What's up, Ketchup? I read each and every one fo your comments, and I appreciate them always.