29.4.14

Recently Read | March - April

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Lola is the type of girl who isn't bothered by the way she dresses; a characteristic I always wished I had. In the book, they describe her as a person who does't believe in Fashion, but Costume. Every day she would put on a new outfit, becoming a new person with the way her hair, makeup, and clothes were fixed up. She is an independent mind. Her life is going well. But what if the return of the boy next door is the very problem that threatens to throw her life out of balance?

I actually made the mistake of buying and reading this book before it's predecessor, Anna and the French Kiss. I do wish I had read the first book even if the story could stand alone because Anna and Etienne make guest appearances in this book as some close friends of Lola's, which I thought was pure genius. I can only expect that Lola and Cricket will be guesting in Isla and the Happily Ever After, and hopefully Anna and Etienne as well!

Every Day by David Levithan
Every day, A wakes up as the same person. A doesn't know how, or why. It's a new experience--a different life--every day, until A meets Rhiannon. Now, the lonely, traveling life A felt before seems more like a curse than a blessing.

There was something so unique about this book. It was so well-written, and so honest. Despite David Levithan's knack for writing about the LGBT youth, this book served as sort of an equalizer. Yes, A was in love with a girl--but A was neither girl nor boy. It showed that what matters isn't who you were or who you chose to be, but the common feeling shared by two people.

Burn For Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
Three girls set out for revenge on the people who wronged them. But what happens when things get out of hand?

When i first saw this at the bookstore, I thought it would be just another Pretty Little Liars knockoff story, with a group of high school girls with petty problems. That day, I had no ride home from the mall, so I opened the book and started flipping through the pages. Minutes later, I was sucked in. I was surprised to see that it was so well-written and original. I ended up buying the book and finishing it in 3 hours at home. The second I was finished, I called my mom and asked her to pick up the second book on the way home (beware of torture by cliffhanger!).

Fire With Fire by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
"When sweet revenge turns sour." The girls are back, and they're scheming again. But when they find that their plans are getting more complicated and more dangerous than they intended, will they stop?

This book was even better than the first one in the series. Full of original and unexpected plot twists, this book kept me on my toes. I didn't think the story could get any more complicated and twisted--but it did, and I loved every second of it. Again, I finished it in less than a day. I cannot wait until the release of the third and final book later this year!

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
The book follows nerdy bookworm Cath and her life as a new college student. Struggling to make friends and not ready to let go of her love of a popular book series, Cath faces separation from her dad and twin sister, while trying to balance cute boys and being an english major, all at once.

I didn't very much enjoy Eleanor and Park, so I was a little iffy about buying this book. I'm not gonna lie, the cover drew me in quite a bit, for the most part. I was pleasantly surprised at how un-put-downable this book was once i started it.  I love how quirky and fun Cath is, and it reminds me of the good ol' days when I was an avid member of the Harry Potter and Hunger Games fandoms. It is now one of my favorites, and I plan to read it again when I get to the transitional "before college" period.

Vampire Academy
When I run out of books to read, I turn to my trusty old iPad and download some short and light books. I am not one fore fantasy vampires, werewolves and zobies, but I saw the trailer for the movie based on this book and I couldn't resist. My review for this book: Let's just say, i didn't put it down until I was finished.







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews! They all seem like interesting books...I really want to read Every Day now!
    I would love it if we stay in touch via bloglovin and gfc! Let me know what you think <3

    xo
    Yujin
    La Celestials

    ReplyDelete

What's up, Ketchup? I read each and every one fo your comments, and I appreciate them always.